Eaton Grange Arts Award

As part of your Arts Award, you need to review an arts event you have been to. This could be a theatre visit, concert, gig, art gallery or exhibition or any other visit to an arts activity. Please leave a comment here to outline what you went to see, and a review of the experience. Year 8, you will also need to comment on what you learnt from the experience that you could use in your own arts practice.

See Miss Whiterod with any further questions.

19 thoughts on “Eaton Grange Arts Award

1. Saskia

About 2 months ago, I went to a concert about Romeo and Juliet. This was a ballet performance accompanied by a big orchestra. I didn’t go there, but instead watched it in the cinema, live from the theatre in Russia. It was a big orchestra with all instruments required for a complete one; violins, violas, flutes, cellos and all the other instruments. All instruments had a part to ‘play’ as a character. For example, Julliet would be the flutes but Romeo would be the violas and all characters would have an instrument like that. The ballet was also very well performed. They were actually the top ballet performers of the world! It was beautiful to watch and it was a good experience.

I learned that playing perfectly together makes the orchestra sound even better than sometimes, and that dividing orchestras into different parts for different characters an effective way is to express characters in the song or production. I could maybe try to express my violin playing into a specific characters that I like, using the different sounds and strings.

2. Alex

A few years ago, we went to London to see the musical Matilda, based on the Roald Dahl book , which is actually still on at the Cambridge Theatre and is very successful. It has even gone to Broadway! The songs are written by Tim Minchin. We saw it the same year we performed it in House Music! I enjoyed watching the musical more than reading the book and seeing the film.

The musical is about a young girl named Matilda, who decides to change her destiny. It was a really funny show to watch and my whole family enjoyed it. My favourite parts were the scenes with the hammer throwing champion and sadistic Headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, especially when she whirled a child around in the air by her pigtails and hurled her into the audience (it was just a mannequin). The play was excellently choreographed. The scenery and props were very simple and sparse on the stage but extremely effective. It definitely wasn’t what I expected.

I was able to see what all the actors and actresses did in the the ensemble songs from the children performing in the musical, which helped me in our play. They performed all the songs with loads of energy! They also interacted with each other during the songs as well as performing to the audience. Their movements were straightforward but performed with expression and exaggerated.

3. Dabi

I went to see Avengers age of Ultron in the theater it was so amazing and the actors feeling and emotions were great, my favorite actor would be Robert Dawney Jr he acted like a cool smooth swagy millionaire on the outside but on he inside he acted like a scientist of robotics. But when he is in action he is a serious scientist in battle because he keeps on telling his Program JARVIS what to do and also he is a bit swag.He always keeps his cool not only in Avengers but also iron man movies and in real life when he gets an award he makes a cool chill enterance i loved the film and the actors but my favorite would be Robet Dawner Jr and now the movie is 4.5 out of five i loved the film because it was packed with action and adventure and i admire the explosive

4. Gabriel B.

When I was around Three, I went to see Seussical the Musical!
    It was really funny, and I think the actors did really well! When Horton’s little elephant-bird hatched I thought it was really funny. I thought the costumes were really good, and they played their parts really well. I really enjoyed the songs in seussical as well, because they were always changing; it could go from really happy all of a sudden to really sad. They also put a lot of effort into making the props; they made a real tree and a real egg! In Summary, I thought it was the funniest play I’ve ever seen, and I’d love to see it again!

5. Ethan

Last weekend Marcos, Joel, Daniel, Sam, Toby and I; went to Aidan’s party (awesome) and went to watch Fast And Furious & at Showcase. I thought that all of the actors did really well including, Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson and Jason Stathen. We really enjoyed it and we will want to do it again soon #freinds

6. Thomas

At Christmas I went to a pantomime of Cinderella the fairy tale. The acting was amazing I liked how good they were. They involved the audience ugly sisters were perfect at there part of the two ugly sister made a joke with Jimmy in the audience.
    There costume were truly amazing probably the best costumes I have ever seen for any shows in my life they were amazing they went from a dress a packet of chips from mc donalds and chicken and kfc yes im not joking to a clock. They also acted really well I thought I was in the scene. I rate it 9/10 trully amazing

7. will

A couple of years ago I went to see Peter Pan at the theater it was amazing how they moved from from London to the nether lands in just a couple of seconds, i was also amazed how they made perter fly and you could not even the rope. It was a great experience and i really enjoyed the acting out of the play and hopefully i can see another equally good play.

8. Harry

I went to see midsummer nights dream with the school. It was a really good play which was very exiting!”A Midsummer Night’s Dream” deals with the universal theme of love and its complications: lust, disappointment, confusion, marriage. The plot focuses on three parallel stories: the trials and experiences of two sets of lovers camping in a magical forest, the world of the Fairy King and Queen and their elves, and a group of rough craftsmen attempting to stage a production of Pyramus and Thisby for the wedding of the Duke of Athens.

Hermia is in love with Lysander, but her father wants her to marry Demetrius. To escape the arranged marriage, she and Lysander elope into the woods. Demetrius follows them, and he is pursued by Helena, who nurses passion for him. “The course of true love never did run smooth” says Lysander. Meanwhile, a group of amateur actors rehearses a badly-written play in the woods, and soon all find their lives changed by the doings of Oberon and Titania, the warring king and queen of the fairies. Magic, action, love and humor are the ingredients for this unforgettable spell.
    That is the main synopsis.

I really enjoyed seeing midsummers night dream and was topped off by an ice cream at the end.

9. kate

1 year ago,my family (except my dad) went up to London to see the amazing performance of Wicked.I had seen The wizard of Oz and loved it so I was really excited to see this one.The main storyline was don’t judge a book by it’s colour,even if it was green! I loved the songs in the performance,my favourite was ‘Gravity’ and is a song Elphaba sing when she is sick of being the nice girl and being teased.She wants to be free and fly of to a castle with the flying monkeys.Another one of my favourite song is ‘Popular’ which is sung by Glinda your typical popular girl trying to get Elphada to curl her hair and dress right.This is one of my favourite’s because she is really funny when she sings it! My favourite character is Glinda because she is really funny and it was played by a really good actress to suite the part

10. Artur

Last year, Holme Grange organised a trip for years 7 and 8 to go and watch Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare as that was last year’s school play. I went and I particularly enjoyed the plot as a whole. I did not like the interpretation of Puck because I thought it was too childish and not very funny. Besides that, a spectacular performance by all actors (even the actress representing Puck). I learnt that even if a character is not as you imagined it, the play can still be brilliant.

11. Maggie

About two years my family went to London to see the musical lion king it was a very good musical, he went to the musical because it was my brother birthday present.Even though it took a long time to get there, with all the train and tube, it was still a great performents. When it started the actors were singing and coming next to us.This play is a Disney film about a young lion called Simba and his father,Mafasa, and Scar the evil uncle want to be king but next in line is Simba so luckerly for Scar Simba rounds away and Scar kills Mafasa and he become king however Simba comes back with some friends and becomes king. My favourite songs are hakuna matata and I juat can’t wait to be king and my favourite actor is Timon and Pumbaa. I would love to go see it again.

12. Gemma

Last year I went to see the pantomime performance of Cinderella it was a fantastic performance with lots of humour throughout. The casting was superb and the two ugly sisters were both played by male actors this needs to even further humour, halfway through one of their wigs fell off leaving the audience in tears of laughter. The costumes of the ugly sisters were absolutely atrocious and flamboyant which added to the humour of the entire production. There was a lot of twists in the story as there are lots of extra added scenes adding to the humour which I think is what it was all about. Cinderella herself though was a pretty young child who wanted to do more with her life. I think the acting was fantastic as I can really connect to some of the emotions which were being portrayed
    yet the humour in it so that it can be not as serious as the original story. There was a funny scene in which the ugly sisters will been chased by this supposedly moving statue which lasted for about five minutes in which they were acting and stupidly as they possibly could but that’s what I thought as this supposedly moving statue was chasing them round bench! I had a fabulous time at the performance and really wish I could go back and watch it again.

13. Marcelo

About a year ago I went to see Shrek in London with my family. I really enjoyed it and it was a really good experience. All the actors were really good at expressing their emotions. The singing was also really good. My favourite part is at the end when the dragon comes flying out.
    They managed to create the scene very well and I felt that I was watching it at a cinema. My favourite character was probably Donkey.
    It was a really good experience.

14. Joel

A few years ago I went to London for the day to watch the Lion King, I was really excited as I saved up for my ticket and I think it was worth every penny!
    The music and choreography was great and I think it was even better than the film, I’d recommend it to everyone and it was a great day out !!!

15. Taku

IN 2013 I went to London to go and watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
    I thought it was very entertaining because of the expressions that the actors made looked and even felt like they were real.
    I liked the bit with the umper lumper because they were really funny and the special affects used to do there dace was really funny.
    I also thought that Mr Willy wonker was rather funny as well.
    I thought all the actors were really good and they looked like they were real.

16. Marcos Uriol Garcia

A few months ago I went to see Edward scissorhands . It was really sad and good , I really enjoyed it . My mum and my sister started crying in the last part of the play , the music was really good . They managed to do a really good play almost like a film , my favourite part is the finale part , I think that the actor who does Edward was really good.

17. Annabel

Two years ago I went to London to see War Horse at the theatre. It is based on the book by Michael Morpurgo. They used life sized puppets for the horses which from our seats you could believe were real horses. The show kept me on the edge of my seat and I thought the puppeteers were amazing – you could easily have been tricked into thinking the horses were real. It was quite moving when the horse, Joey was lost and one of the main characters died. I also liked it because the acting was amazing, and although it had its own style it didn’t vary that much from the book. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in horses, although it wouldn’t be a family show because some parts were scary and some people died.